Links to Natural Play Resources
You may find the following educational resources helpful.
- Activities for young children: confusing website, but good listing of over 3400 activities to do with young children, many of which relate to nature and the seasons.
art for the garden: very graceful birds of PVC :( ...but nice!
- Bench Swing: Free Standing Arbor Swing: Step-
by-step, do-it-yourself guide. For other project guides, use the "Search", top left.
- Children's Play in Natural Environments: A fact Sheet
Children's landscapes in Norway
Children, Youth, & Environments
- Children & Nature Network: its goal: establishing a global community of people and organizations committed
to working together to reconnect children with nature
Developmentally Appropriate Gardening for Young
Children by Vicki Stoecklin
- Developing Adventure Playgrounds
Early Childhood Care and Education Resources
EIC: Using the
Environment as an Integrating Context (EIC) for Learning; EIC is an
education model that employs natural and community surroundings as
the context for learning while taking into account best
practices in education.
- Earth-Friendly clothes for kids
- Globe Project: Uses a worldwide community of students, teachers, scientists, and citizens working together to better understand, sustain, and improve Earth's environment at local, regional, and global scales. Friendly website.
- Environmental art: great UK site showing children creating natural art following Andy Goldsworthy's ideas. Make sure to follow the link at page bottom.
- Fast Growing Trees:
Great site for people who want well-established natural playgrounds
in a hurry!
- Fast plants: fast-growing plants for research and education purposes, vetted by the University of Wisconsin
- Fencing: Unobtrusive,
do-it-yourself fencing that is just the thing for child care centers
wanting to avoid unattractive chain link fences.
- Ground Covers: Great little brochure about ground covers:
a plant list and info about where to plant, foot traffic tolerance,
speed of growth, and growing conditions
- Gardening ideas for kids: A comprehensive list of web resources for gardening with children"
Community Gardening for people of all ages, abilities and
Grass (self-replicating!!!), an answer to
Pages (same as Yellow Pages, but about "green"
- Greening Schools - Students excited about their Natural Playground may broaden their interests to other sustainable School projects and check out this website.
Green Street: fascinating Canadian Site; well done!
- Herb Gardens: Starting a garden for kids, growing, ideas, resources. Nice site.
- Hidden Harvest: This award-
winning, non-profit group teaches gardening in low income areas!
Invasive Plants: National Park Service, Invasipedia
Interactive sculptural environments
Learning through landscapes
- Maintenance Guide for Natural Playgrounds
- Math in nature: Math lessons for natural playgrounds. Make sure to follow links at page bottom.
moss gardens; see also bigdipper
Musical Instruments: make your own:Here and Here
- Nature Kindergarten: a look at Scotland's first nature
kindergarten, with recommendations,study guides on using an outdoor
Natural gardening/landscaping materials: willow
fences, etc., and then look through the outdoor gardening menu on
Stabilization: DirtGlue stabilizes soil to make natural-looking
Playground Physics (and other resources) introduction
to basic concepts in classical mechanics for upper elementary and
middle school grades (4-7) relating the experience children have on
the playground to basic physics concepts. Some refit req'd to
use items that are all natural.
- Poisonous plants:
Searchable Data Bases: Colorado State University
Put up posts without digging holes! SeePin foundations!
- Play Naturally: A review of Children's Natural Play
Rare plants in US
RoSPA British site discussing playground safety in a
more generous, common-sense way than here in the US.
- Sandpits: a fun account of how a large sandpit
developed, with helpful hints
- Shade Planting
Societies: a comprehensive list of plant, garden,
& related societies
- Sustainable Horticulture: UNH's Growing a Green Generation horticulture curriculum for pre-school to kindergarten age children
- Training in Natural Play: outdoor play training courses
at the University of Gloucestershire may be a bit of a stretch, but
at least it's being done!
Trees for kids: all about trees; fun, interactive
Houses: fun, one-of-a-kind, universally accessible tree houses
are beautiful additions to natural play environments.
forestry General tree info for urban areas
Natural Resources Conservation Service: soil surveys & maps,
free help from the "Earth Team" to conserve environment;
- Willow structures for tips on building. Places to buy willow rods; Bluestem Nursery. Also buy Salix viminalis at local nurseries.
Please contact The Natural Playgrounds Company® to discuss your thoughts and plans. We welcome your inquiries and will get back in touch with you promptly.
Thank you for spending some time with us today.
(Don't forget to check out our online store of natural play elements!
Click HERE to go there now!)
What struck us first about this site was that it contained several beautiful, mature pine trees and that two sides butted up against beautiful woods and a...
Read More >>
Typical of the Bozeman, MT area, this Montessori school with children from kindergarten through elementary school ages was built on flat land and surrounded by residential communities.As you can see from the attached photos, there has been a dramatic change...
Read More >>
The children at this school had an old, tired set of wooden playground equipment that was long past its prime, together with a huge paved area that caused massive water, ice, and runoff problems. Basically, the kids had little to do and ...
Read More >>